This article provides funding data for the tenth article in my “Top Ed-Tech Trends of 2016” series. Never forget: test prep exacerbates educational inequalities.
The following test prep startups raised funding in 2016:
- BYJU’s ($140,000,000) – investors include Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Sequoia Capital, Lightspeed Venture Partners, the IMF, Sofina, and Times Internet
- LTG Exam Platform ($5,300,000) – investors include Square Peg Capital, Atlas Venture, Jamie McCourt, Edward and Mitch Roberts, and Margot Lebenberg Carter
- Oliveboard (undisclosed) – investors include India Educational Investment Fund
- Transweb ($120,000) – investors include 500 Startups
- Smartstudy ($29,540,000) – investors include Golden Brick Capital, Haitong International Securities Group, and Nanfang Asset Management
Acquisitions of test prep companies include Manch (acquired by Toppr).